Explorers Club Weekend
Lake Geneva Region, Switzerland
Fri 1st – Sun 3rd September 2023
Three days of activities related to Exploration and Field Sciences including: Expedition Lectures, High Mountain Skills Training and Social Gatherings
The Explorers Club (TEC) Talks @ EPFL Rolex Learning Center
Friday 1st Sept from 17:00 until late
During this event, you will:
- Experience the Architectural Marvel: Step into the world-renowned EPFL Rolex Learning Center, celebrated globally for its iconic design.
- Delve into TED-Style Lectures: Engage with captivating 15-minute mini-lectures, each echoing the signature style and depth of TED talks.
- Connect Globally: Listen to tales and insights from The Explorers Club members, representing both Switzerland and various global locations.
- Expand Your Horizons: Benefit from the wisdom of guest speakers hailing from renowned institutions, all specializing in Field Sciences.
- Sample Intriguing Topics: Dive deep into sessions like “Death, Disaster, and Directives,” offering a glimpse of the kind of exploratory depth on display.
- Engage Beyond the Talks: Immerse yourself in stimulating discussions, networking opportunities, and interpersonal exchanges, with the backdrop of the Rolex Learning Center until midnight.
High Mountain Skills Building @ Les Diablerets Glacier (3’000m/10’000ft)
Saturday 2nd Sept, 09:00 – 17:00
During this event, you will:
- Ascend to New Heights: Head up to a nearby glacier situated at 3000m.
- Hone Your Skills: Engage in the practice of High Mountain skills.
- Engage in Interactive Discussions: Foster dialogues with participants and share your unique expedition tales.
- Enjoy Regular Accessibility: Utilize the cable car, operating every 20 minutes from Col du Pilon between 09:00 – 16:50.
- Maximize Your Experience: Although main activities are scheduled for the afternoon due to the late ending of the Friday event, first-time visitors are encouraged to arrive early and savor the glacier’s mesmerizing beauty.
- Embark on Summit Adventures: Discover a range of activities around the summit.
Harness the energy of nature, refine your mountain skills, and share your tales of adventure at this unparalleled glacier experience.
San Martín Cup Finals @ Geneva Polo Club (GPC)
Sunday 3rd Sept, from 16:00 until late
During this event, you will:
- Witness Elite Polo: Experience the thrill of the Finals of Copa San Martín, hosted by the renowned Geneva Polo Club (GPC).
- Enjoy Exclusive Access: Relish the ambiance from our own club tent, courtesy of past collaborations with GPC.
- Network with Like-Minded Souls: Mingle with exploration-enthusiasts and cultivate connections in a laid-back setting at the Explorers Club Tent.
- Meet the Equestrian Community: Forge bonds with the local equestrian aficionados and enthusiasts.
- Come as You Are: No special equipment necessary – just bring your curious spirit and joie de vivre.
- Be Sun-Smart: Remember to pack a hat and sun lotion to ensure you’re protected and comfortable throughout.
Dive into a world where the exhilaration of polo meets the spirit of exploration, all under the welcoming skies of Geneva.
This is a nonprofit event.
We're excited to collaborate with you, for the Explorers Club Weekend and beyond. If you have an idea for a smashing success, we're all ears.
For more information please contact:
firstname.lastname@example.org & email@example.com
Meet Your Explorers Club Weekend Steward
Marcelo Garcia FRGS FRSA FRCGS
In Switzerland, where tradition meets innovation, a modern-day pioneer is hard at work. Founding the Wisdom Foundation, this visionary has dedicated himself to enriching lives through his Swiss NGOs: WisdomAccelerator.org, focusing on youth empowerment, and BroadLights.org, aiming to connect vulnerable communities.
Hailing from a lineage rich in audacity, his family has been embedded in the telecom sector for nearly a century. With ancestors that range from the founders of Brazil’s early radio stations to Amazonian pioneers and even aristocrats who once invaded England, he’s imbibed lessons of perseverance and long-term vision.
Esteemed as the Swiss Chapter Chairman for Explorers.org, his affiliations span renowned institutions like FRGS, FRSA, and FRCGS. A recognized Smart Cities Expert by UNECE.org and IESE’s pppcities.org, his technical prowess extends to pioneering projects in digital TV, interactive TV, and blockchain since 2013.
A decade-long attendee of the World Economic Forum in Davos, he’s orchestrated major events addressing global themes, garnering support from giants like the City of Davos and the World Bank.
Fluent in six languages and a traveler to 125 countries, this explorer epitomizes global citizenship. Through his myriad endeavors, he reminds us that the term “impossible” is but a challenge awaiting conquest.
Voices of Adventure: Our Esteemed Speakers
Participant of Analogue Astronaut training initiative in Icelandic wilderness
Forester and Conservation Biologist
Veterinary Surgeon and Conservationist
Paninnguaq Lind Jensen
Inuit Artist, Environmentalist
Extreme Cave and Wreck Diver; Member of the London Olympics staff team
Conservationist, Educator, Humanitarian, Conservation/eco-Tourism Entrepreneur
Genetic analysis entrepreneur and EC50 Award Winner
Artist and Conservationist
George McKenzie, Jr.
Onkuri Majumdar – Conservationist
Freshwater Ecologist and Ichthyologist
Anthony Ochieng Onyango
Climate Scientists & author of “Icefall”; Explorers Club Board Member & Chapter Chair
CEO of straightlineaviation.com planning a RTW airship expedition
Polar Citizen Scientist and EC50 Award Winner
Wilson Wai-Yin Cheung
Hilde Fålun Strøm
World Extreme Medicine Faculty
Himalayan Conservationist and EC50 Award Winner
Participant of Phoenician replica ship Atlantic Crossing; Explorers Club Fellow
Vice Chairman of Zero Gravity Corporation
Social Researcher and Visual Artist
Marine Conservation Scientist
Conservationist and Ecologist
Advocate and Regeneration Biologist
Manuel Jose Carpintero Manzanares